Slam dunk king out of tourney

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Slam dunk king out of tourney

PBA All-Star Week

By WAYLON GALVEZ

DAVAO CITY — Kelly Williams of Sta. Lucia Realty will not be around to defend the Slam Dunk title tomorrow during the PBA All-Star Week Skills Events at the Araneta Coliseum.

This after the 6-foot-5 Williams, the reigning Most Valuable Player (MVP), opted out of the said competition due to dehydration, which has affected him Thursday when the PowerAde Team Pilipinas left Bacolod City on their way to this bustling Metropolis.

“Not like when it’s like this,” Williams, who has been in pain with a bum stomach, said Friday morning. “My wife thinks that it’s food poisoning. I’m very weak because nothing is staying up, not even liquid. I’ll probably be checking in to a hospital when I get home (in Manila),” added Williams, who was examined by a local doctor in his hotel room in Marco Polo.

“I drank some bad water before, hattonbut not like this.” National team coach Yeng Guiao said that Williams, who booked a late flight Friday back to Manila, will not play on Sunday’s main event pitting the RP team and the starting fives of both the North and South All-Star teams reinforced by four imports.

Williams, who won the Slam Dunk title a year ago in Bacolod City against Ginebra’s Ronald Tubid and Burger King’s Arwind Santos, was eyeing to become only the third player to defend the championship after ex-pro Vergel Meneses and Nino Canaleta of Purefoods. With Williams gone, the Skills Events’ centerpiece will feature Canaleta going up against newcomers Gabe Norwood of Rain or Shine and Jared Dillinger of Talk ’N Text, as well as San Miguel Beer’s Anthony Jay Washington.

Canaleta, already a three-time champion, skipped the event last season due to tendinitis. He decided to join this year’s edition knowing the high level of competition with Norwood, Dillinger, Washington and Williams.

Source: http://mb.com.ph/articles/203544/slam-dunk-king-out-tourney
jamj3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down