SANTOS STARS AS BURGER KING WALLOPS ALASKA

View previous topic View next topic Go down

SANTOS STARS AS BURGER KING WALLOPS ALASKA

Whoppers bag win # 6 behind Arwind’s 31 markers

Coach Yeng Guiao had his first ejection in a game with Burger King Sunday night, and don't expect it to be the last.

Guiao was elated how his players responded on his banishment.

"Pwede pala akong magpatapon ng magpatapon sa team na ito," Guiao said in jest moments after his Whoppers turned back the Alaska Milk Aces, 106-88, at the Cuneta Astrodome.

"Seriously, I think we really have a high winning percentage even with my old team when I'm thrown out. This is a new team for me. This is the first time they're tested this way with me getting ejected and the team left facing adversity. They responded very well and, to me, that's a good sign," Guiao added.

The Whoppers stepped on the gas upon Guiao's exit, pulling away from the Aces en route to a second straight win that enhanced their bid for a Top Four finish in the Motolite PBA Fiesta Conference classification round.

Arwind Santos put in a personal season-high of 31 points that went on top of six rebounds and four assists, leading the Whoppers to the win that had them catching up with the Rain or Shine Elasto Painters at fifth place with identical 6-5 win-loss cards.

"I've been keeping on telling the guys to believe we can still make it. If we keep on winning, we have an outside chance of getting outright semis entry or at least a twice-to-beat edge in the first round of the playoffs," said Guiao.

Overwhelmed by the Whoppers at the finish, the Aces stayed buried in the lower half of the chart with a 4-7 slate.

Santos teamed up with Gary David and Egay Billones in fueling BK's breakaway from a 78-74 edge.

Guiao was ejected moments before that, flaring up on a foul incurred by Erick Rodriguez on Rosell Ellis.

LA Tenorio, Ellis and Willie Miller hit four successive free throws to make it 74-78 with 8:54 left to play.

Then came the decisive BK run highlighted by two three-pointers by Santos and one each from Billones and David.

Burger King made a huge swing right in the first half, charging from an eight-point deficit, 16-24, to build a 15-point spread at 49-34.

The Whoppers actually surged ahead, 27-24, even before the first quarter came to an end, but the Aces regained the upper hand at 28-27 before fading away.

New acquisition Mark Yee, Santos and Billones had huge contributions in BK's searing second-quarter assault giving the Whoppers a 51-42 spread at halftime.

Beau Belga, JR Quinahan and Aaron Aban led the BK attack early on before Yee, Santos and Billones took over while import Shawn Daniels just concentrated on tending the boards.

Daniels was 0-of-7 from the field but had 10 rebounds in the first 24 minutes of play. (NC)

The scores:

Burger King 106 - Santos 31, Quinahan 13, Billones 12, Yee 11, Belga 9, Daniels 9, Aban 7, David 7, Arboleda 5, Rodriguez 2.

Alaska 88 - De Vance 25 , Ellis 22, Miller 12, Hugnatan 11, Tenorio 7, Cariaso 6, Thoss 3, Borboran 2, Fonacier 0, Ferriols 0, Cablay 0, Dela Cruz 0.

Quarterscores: 27-28, 51-42, 76-68, 106-88.

http://www.pba.ph/content/view/2611/1/
matrix
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down